Source: Both Sides of the Table, May 2019
You learn so much more in life by surrounding yourself with talented people.
2. The world works on a pull model.
The best opportunities in life come from people who PULL you into them. When people are building teams and looking for talented, hard-working people they break down walls to pull you in.
you need to build a network even outside of your company.
3. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
It’s not good enough to know people. In order for them to pull you in and pull you up you need to ASK.
4. It is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
… Sometimes asking alone isn’t enough. Decide which rules are acceptable to break.
5. There’s a time to learn and a time to earn.
Learn tangible skills that will be valuable in your future.
6. Be politely persistent.
More than 50% of people I meet with don’t proactively push for more meetings or interactions. You can’t get mad if people don’t return your emails or calls. Every person worth meeting is so busy they can barely get through their day’s work. Success comes to those who follow through and do so with grace and humility.
7. Get your foot in the door.
8. Build a personal brand. Be known for something. Develop your voice.
Every now and again somebody figures out how to communicate a unique message to an audience and become known for something in a field. Developing an audience gives you a bigger network, bigger knowledge and more power to get ahead.
- Take some risks. I have.
- Take the time to experience new things in life.
- Take hard forks in the road and don’t worry about what the other path held. As you age your crossroads narrow.
- Take chances.
- Ask for the crazy promotion with a sly smile on your face.
- Show up in an unexpected place.
- Every now and again beg for forgiveness. Taking risks is, by definition, risky! But nothing ventured, nothing gained.
If you make the most of your crossroads and live without regret, your relatives will smile from the beyond knowing their hard work gave you the freedoms of choice that you now enjoy.